To advocate and promote self-sufficiency to the whole family through
employment, education, cultural and social support and economic
empowerment for immigrants...read more
Somali Community Highlights
- 45,000+ Somali live in Ohio.
- 25% of Somalis Immigrants speak English well enough to get a job,
especially the young people.
- 40% have become citizens of the United States of America
- 80% live with their families
- Average Family has 7-8 members
- 99.9% of Somali are Muslims
- 57% are eligible to become U.S. Citizens
- More than Four Hundred Somali business have been created by Somalis.
- More than One Thousand of Somali's are attending Ohio Colleges and
- The number of Somali's living in central Ohio will continue to
increase in the next 5 years
- Unemployment is rate is higher 5% then state average rate.
It is crucial that greater services at a higher level are offered to
our community's neediest families. Below is a list of services we
have improved for 2010:
- Educational opportunities for adults and children.
- Immigration and Citizenship Assistance.
- Housing Availability and Affordability Assistance..
- Youth Programs and Leadership Development
- Senior Citizen Services
- Community Advocacy
- Public Safety Awareness Programs.
- Case Management.
- Interpretation and Translation Services
- Employment and Job Training
- ESL Classes
- Summer youth Programs
Association of Ohio
SCAO - 2010